My Series of top ten movies is basically based solely on the book compiled by Rob Hill " Movies over 100 top 10 lists". The discussion & comments on the movies Rob Hill chose is all my opinion or critique, any quotes about such movies will be referenced to give everyone his/her own right and to avoid plagiarism.
My first series of this list is about movies that got the protagonist( term in cinema for lead character) as an antihero.
10- Italian Job in 1969 with Michael Caine as the protagonist is undoubtedly one of the most exciting movies that been released in the late 60s and showcased the talents of Michael Caine as a household name in the movie industry and skyrocketed his career all over the globe especially in the U.S. The movie itself for me is probably one of the best movies when it comes to heist films. Caine is brilliant in taking the role of the heist leader with his charismatic and empowering presence, I would not bet anyone to master this role as he did.
9. Smokey and the Bandit in 1977 featuring Burt Reynolds in the lead role, in my opinion Reynolds played much better roles later in his career. But probably the casting wouldn't have found a better lead man to play opposite Sally field whose performance was good in this feature. Nevertheless Burt showed the brilliant talent he possess as an actor. Considering it's an "Antihero" theme related I prefer Italian Job but this is Rob Hill ranking and I'm just giving my opinion.
8. The Wild One in 1953 with Marlon Brando , let's put it this way Brando is by far my favorite actor of all time and as per many top actor selections is up there in the top of the pile. But for it's definitely not his best roles , good one but even in the top 10 in my book. I really don't get on what basis Rob Hill is stating the antihero themes, if we consider his definition of someone who is always a figure at odds with the values of their society, then there's my obvious choice for Brando which is Godfather I.
7. Old Boy in 2003 feature movie from South Korea , Asian movies are renowned for their mystery & horror movies and of course the collection of movies made by Akira Kurosawa that most of the time showcases the protagonist as the underdog. Here in Old Boy we see the lead character in a position seeking to capture the person that wronged him , here I really don't see why Rob Hill considered the main character an antihero when we go back to his definition. The lead character is someone who was wronged not the one who did wrong to society.
6. Ferris Bueller's Day Off in 1986 with Mathew Broderick is for me one of those movies you can't forget, it's a movie that stays with you centuries. Broderick brilliantly played the brat kid that everyone of us would relate to. Who didn't skip in their teenage years a class or two to go and have fun. For me this movie is for every century and for every student who considered or did in fact to skip his/her to go and chill.
5. Cool Hand Luke in 1967 with Paul Newman, in my opinion and I guess lots of movie reviewers you can't go wrong with such an actor. Newman showcased his talent especially in antihero themed movies such as Butch Cassidy & Sundance kid, The Sting. Cool Hand Luke is another brilliant movie starring Paul Newman.
4. Taxi Driver in 1976 with Robert De Niro , here's another actor who I consider one of my favorite actors. But again I would see Godfather II as better choice, but he's quite convincing as well here in the antihero role. An amazing movie featuring a young and talented Jodie Foster.
3. A Fistful of Dollar in 1964 with Clint Eastwood, another brilliant series of movies having a master director in Sergio Leone & a brilliant leading actor who became a household name in such roles. Here with the role of the man with no name he brings so much power and charisma with a touch of classiness. No one would rival Clint Eastwood in these roles.
2. Drive in 2011 with Ryan Gosling , I like his acting but I can't see him in the role of an antihero i just can't he's more of a lover boy in movies like "The Notebook", "Crazy,stupid,love" , "Gangster squad" where he's certainly brilliant, but as a antihero character sorry not quite there yet. Nevertheless you can't but appreciate the movie Driver and consider as one of the good movies of our era but definitely not one of the great movies.
1. Escape from New York in 1981 with Kurt Russell , as an actor Kurt Russell is definitely one of the unique actors to make the breakthrough from being a Disney child actor to a house hold name in eccentric roles especially in the iconic role of Snake Pisskin who is a controversial character you can't but hate but sympathize with him in the same time. Russell did such a brilliant and memorable role that will ever have its place in the history of cinema.
As a conclusion and take on this top 10 list which basically gives a summary of what to watch if your searching for an antihero based film. The only take for me would be that two movies The Godfather I & II should be included , maybe Rob Hill already included under mafia or gangster theme and leaving slot for other movies, but for me they should be included instead of " The Wild one" & "Taxi Driver".